Who doesn’t like to sew for their little one? Well what if I tell you that I made this Simple skirt in 20 minutes or less… Would you want to try to sew one up for your little Drama Queen?
My little Drama Queen and I were at the fabric store and she fell in love with this lavender colored fat quarter with fairies on it. Well, how could I resist something so cute. We found another fat quarter that would coordinate nicely with the fairy print to make a cute little elastic waist skirt. I would be able to sew it together before Sponge Bob was over…
Here is how I made it:
- 2 fat quarter pieces of fabric (22 x 18)
- 1 1/2 in. wide elastic (measured to my little one)
- thread, iron, sewing machine, scissors
I washed and dried my fabric first. Lay out your two pieces of fabric. I like to iron them before I start cutting or sewing. It makes it a lot easier to work with.
- I cut the top of the skirt~ 22″ by 9″ cut 2
- The bottom half of the skirt is 22″ by 4″ cut 2
- I like to over-lock the edges of my 4 fabric pieces first
- With right sides together pin the top and bottom pieces in place and stitch them together with your machine. Repeat with other two pieces of the skirt.
- Iron your seam up towards the top of the skirt and top-stitch into place.
- Place back and front of skirt together with right sides facing each other. Stitch up the sides making sure to match the seams.
- I like to over-lock the edges.
- Press and sew down your top edge making a casing wide enough to thread your elastic through. Leave a small opening for the elastic. Once elastic is threaded though and evened out and top-stitch opening closed.
- Hem up your bottom edge
Hope you all try this one out. It was a lot of fun to pick out the fabric and have it put together in no time at all…
Any questions on how to put this together let me know.
Similar post to check out~
Pants no more! Skirt re~fashion